Old 09-01-16, 12:03 AM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I have a full suspension 29er with drop bars and it's an excellent bike for steep mountain roads frequented by gas powered all terrain vehicles that chew up the surface and scatter loose rocks. The big and fat tires keep me upright on loose surfaces that would spill CX bikes, or bog down 26" mtbs. The combination of low posture and hand position in the drops gives me a secure feeling and the roadie-like position allows me to ride extended climbs that go on for miles/hours all the way to the top of mountains. I had to install much lower gearing though because of the huge hoops, 20t on front 40t on back. If you can find a suitable used bike and like to tinker it's an interesting build. The downside is that suspension bikes are complicated and need more maintenance, and are heavier. If you don't have an application for this type of bike maybe something simpler is more practical. Think realistically about where you intend to ride and what's required there.

You could also build a nice fat tire drop bar gravel bike from a fully rigid vintage 26 mtb. I have one of these. I have BMX pedals and ride it wearing normal clothes and sandals. I'm shocked how much I love this old bike that someone had left on the curb for city cleanup. Building your own bike is a pain in the ass though, for example I've had to swap out many parts repeatedly until I find just the thing that works. Lot's of time spent building when I could have been riding.

If I had to do it all over again maybe I'd just buy a hardly-used bikesdirect hardtail from craigslist and put drop bars and roadie shifters on it. The ideal donor bike is one size too small, in my opinion, but I like to ride aero posture, xc, no jumps or hops.

Just noticed your final comment ;-)

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 09-01-16 at 12:37 AM.