Old 09-01-16, 12:10 PM
Ajkollme

Bikes: SuperSix, Nature Boy, Mattioli R1, Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
And then... I decided that whoever (it could have been a child)... or for whatever reason the horn was blasted (maybe I wasn't a target)... I decided I enjoyed the rush.

Yes. I decided... it was all OK.

People can tend to forget that fear... or the reactions to fear... can to some extent be a choice.

I know this is a tangent off of the thread's topic, but Dave's comment is spot on, and I wish it was an awareness shared by more people. People everywhere (and especially posters on bf) are constantly offended by things that happen to them, when in reality the offensive actions in question had nothing to do with them. If you are aware of this fact you can choose how you view things that happen in your life and change how you respond to them. The most articulate description of this that I have found is David Foster Wallace's commencement speech at Kenyon College in 2005, "This is water." I know it's long, but watch the whole thing.

I try to stay mindful of this fact, and have found myself much more compassionate, aware, and appreciative of things since doing so.