Old 09-02-16, 10:35 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Not much to add to the already rather simple formula of what makes a nice bicycle. With vintage builds I'm always concerned about that 'rickety' feeling as well, and I think that goes a long way towards describing any bicycle in general. Most modern machines right off the rack feel tight and will probably last for seasons or years of use if they are properly maintained, feeling quite new all the while. With an old bike, unless if a complete refurbishment has taken place (nut-and-bolt), I've found a surprising number of less than appealing aspects about vintage bikes I've ridden!

As long as a bicycle is functioning properly and built up in a way that makes it feel like a 'new bike' (whether that's the new of yesteryear or of today depends on the bike's age), then I would say it is nice. Even if it lacks the finest components, or is not made of my favorite tubing or doesn't quite fit me, it's easy enough to see whether or not it's performing as it should. Any fault beyond that is likely to be my own imagination at work!

Peronal preferences considered, everyone can be picky and I am no exception. I built a couple of nice bikes that I simply did not like riding because they weren't my cup of tea, whether I had issues with the comfort of the frame or the function of index shifting... But discussing such personal considerations doesn't seem to add much to the concept of 'niceness.'

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 09-02-16 at 10:39 AM.