Old 09-02-16, 01:04 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by elizwlsn
I got an estimate today for all the work to get my Specialized Sirrus Comp turned into a full blown touring bike. This included a trekking bar, new fork because mine was carbon and I want a front rack, new 36 spoke wheels with 38 tires (widest I could go). I have 32 spokes now. Also am getting granny gears and a double kickstand.

I was happy with the estimate but the LBS is recommending PANARACER PASELA PROTITE tires and I had wanted Schwalbe Marathons. Does anyone have an opinion on the recommended tires? Or should I insist on the marathons.

I'm also wondering about the granny gears. My bike as is has 12 - 25 teeth and I think he said I couldn't get any lower than 27 or 32. I can't remember which. I wanted 36 teeth. Will the difference from 25 to 27 or 32 be worth the upgrade?
On a budget? no need to increase the front wheel from 32 spokes, just keep your current wheel.

Assuming your bike has a 10 speed or less cassette and Shimano RD, get a Shimano M592 RD and a 12-36 cassette. You will want to add a in-line cable adjuster if your bike does not have them already.