Old 09-04-16, 01:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
? Maybe I don't know what I'm getting into then. What did you have trouble finding?

I'm not looking to keep this GT "correct" or anything like that. On the drive up to the deal yesterday, my gf even asked if it would be weird to build up Zipp rims with Phil Wood hubs, and I couldn't come up with an answer.

"That should have Campagnolo... a quill stem would look nicer... all you need is friction shifters and that bike would be perfect..." I used to not care what other people think, but I've become conditioned to enjoy vexing people with my choices.

My GF keeps saying, "..and you have a GT!"
I was having a hard time finding quill stems and bars (drop and aero base bars). Everything was mail order even though I lived in a major city (Atlanta). The local fixie shops were awful when it came to parts compared to normal bike shops.

Also, Phil Wood on the rear is not a good idea. The Allen bolts aren't as strong as normal 15mm bolts for holding the wheel during powerful jumps or standing starts. If you use Phil hub on the rear, you'll almost have to run a chain tensioner to be be safe especially if you are a bigger rider. They aren't popular for a reason. Also, they are heavy. So, the only real advantage of Phils are the nice bearings and the bling. You can get nice bearings for any hub.

If you want nice, super quality bling track hubs, then lace Zipp track hubs to those Zipp rims. That would be the right way to do it

Or simply buy a set of Zipp track wheels