View Single Post
Old 09-05-16, 02:43 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks for responding.
Handlebar width. On the previous 6X200 (4 years ago) I used my Trek with a handlebar width of 400mm ctc. I don't remember having a hand problem issue, but of course that was 4 years ago. On the 1000k (2 years ago) and 6X200 recently both with the Cannondale Synapse with a width of 410mm I had hand issues in both cases. So maybe yr right that the slight width change affects the pressure points. I have done quite a few long distance brevets several years ago on different bike w/o any hand issues. So maybe the aging has a major affect also.
Saddle options. I don't have saddle issues up to about 600k except minor chaffing on one side due to some asymmetric pedaling or leg length. On the recent 2X600 I rode off-on the saddle a lot on the flats or moderate inclines. This saved my butt, but might have put extra pressure on my hands.
Unfortunately, a lot of these issues show up after a certain distance. On a saddle change you would have to gradually work it into long distances. I was tempted to use my brooks on the 6X200 but hadn't rode on it more than 150k on a single ride so I went with the one I had used previously on long distances.
I'm considering using aerobars for my hand issues. However, they need a different riding approach when used with groups in Brevets. Also some on the roads here are in bad condition, and the handlebar would get crowded with a handlebar bag, lights etc. I have used them in the past, but never on a brevet.
YannisG