View Single Post
Old 09-05-16, 04:40 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by ceobob
I have been riding my Verve II for a long time. Decided to go for a road bike because I wanted to participate in the Pan Mass Challenge. I went to my LBS and got professionally fit for the new road bike. I rode it for about 3 weeks. No matter what adjustments were made, I had chronic pain in my lower back, neck, and even my feet.

Lower back issues have been with me ever since my young days. My LBS was nice enough to take the bike back. I jumped back on my Verve, and then.......no pain what so ever. I have come to the conclusion that I need a bike very similar to the Verve upright position. I don't want to do a Fitness type bike like the Sirrus Elite. Even though those bikes don't put me in as an aggressive position as the road bike, they still cause issues for me.

I guess I am just bored, and I want a new hybrid bike. I have read many posts on front shocks on hybrid bikes. Some say the shocks are gimmicks, some say they are legit. Most of my rides are on paved trails. Few bumps here and there, but nothing bad. I have been caught in the rain many times. So to have disc breaks will be an extra bonus. My rides range from 10-40 miles at a time. The weight isn't as important to me as the comfort is. I am going to take a Roll Comp X1 for a test ride at my LBS. I will pay very close attention to my body position and will go over some bumps as well.
Have you looked at the Specialized Crossroads Elite?

It has a carbon fork and the kind of frame design that should cater to your needs.

Whilst it does lack disc brakes, it looks like it would be a much faster bike than the Roll and in particular be a much better bike for making it up hills.