Old 09-06-16, 01:21 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I put another 60 miles on the 1x setup with weekend. No issues of note.

I pacelined some race folks and didn't feel like I was missing the gears I needed to stay in pace with them.

I also went up one of the toughest climbs I've done on it this weekend. Somewhere around 19% grade for a good ways and the climbing gears were fine for it.

I don't think I'll ride up anything tougher than that on this bike anyway, so the gears seem to be right in line for me.

One thing I liked is that I could maintain my cadence anywhere from +8% to -7% grades without conscious thought. I found it cool to be pedaling along at my normal cadence and look down and see that I was going up a 7.3% grade and didn't realize it. I had just instinctively shifted into the appropriate gear with my right hand subconsciously. That was worth the price of admission for me.

Also, I really dig how quiet it is. I like how quiet steel bikes are in general, the 1x is a good compliment to that removing the drive train noise from the equation and making my bike even more silent while riding. Another big plus for me personally.

So far, really digging the 1x setup. Looking like a keeper for me, but I need a couple hundred more miles to be sure.

Got a nice picture of the bike with 1x setup from the weekend as well:

Last edited by Jarrett2; 09-06-16 at 01:26 PM.