Old 09-07-16, 12:22 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Ageff91
I think I want a drop bar but I went into a store yesterday and for the first time out of the 4 stores Ive been to to do my research, told me its a bad idea to get a road bike because it will not be good for vision purposes getting around the city. So now I am really confused.
There can be truth to that statement, but it depends on what your are comfortable with. A super aggressive road bike isn't great for the city in my opinion because you are quite low and you do need to do a lot of head swiveling to see what is going on. There are two potential drawbacks
1. you are less visible to cars as you might be below their sight lines
2. you need to have pretty good handling skills to be able to control the bike and look behind you

I like having an more upright position in the city traffic because I am above the cars and can see really far ahead and around me.

I think you probably don't want the raciest road bike, one where handlebar height is closer to the seat is good for both urban riding and a beginner. Also more comfortable and easier to handle for a newbie. Look for more "relaxed" geometry.

**An aggressive road bike will have your seat several inches above the handlebars, so you lean down quite far.