Old 09-08-16, 05:15 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_W
It would be nice to upgrade the transmission on our tandem with an 11-speed cassette, possibly even Di2 like I have on my single bike that I really like. The problem is finding a 145mm tandem rear hub that can take an 11-speed cassette but that doesn't cost several hundred US$, or finding an 11-speed cassette that can fit on our 10-speed hub.

Our current hub is a Shimano model, so there is no chance of changing the freehub body for an 11-speed version. I've seen that the top-end American hub manufacturers (Chris King, White Industries, and Phil Wood) all offer an 11-speed Shimano tandem rear hub, but the prices are US$300 to $600. Since we live in Europe, I don't really care if something is made in the US or in Taiwan (or in Europe actually, it's all the same to me). Isn't there an Asian option at half the price? I couldn't find one. I guess it's because these are not really a mass-production item.
Velocity does a tandem hub, 40 hole 145mm spacing, $159. See Velocity Wheels - Hand Made in USA