View Single Post
Old 09-16-16, 09:35 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 116 Posts
Interesting ride home from work last night. We wound up receiving over 5 inches of rain and there were flash flood warnings out. On the way home there were a few sections where the river had come up over the banks and the MUP was underwater. Two of those sections I was able to walk the bike round the flooded area on higher ground.

The third section was under a railroad trestle and there was no easy way around without retreating a long, long way. The part of the MUP that was submerged was only about 30 feet long. It was just standing water with no current in a low spot detached from the river, so I wasn't worried about getting washed away. I thought, "How deep can it really be?" and rode through it. The answer was "a lot deeper than I thought." Almost a foot. My shoes got soaked but I made it through just fine.

This morning the storm system had passed and we had a nice day in the forecast, albeit a windy one. Knowing I was going to fight the wind I decided to take the road bike. There was lots of mud and puddles on the trail where the river had overflowed, then receded. I was going along just fine until I came across one section of the MUP that was completely impassable. So I wound up retreating back to a trailhead and riding through streets until I was able to get back on the MUP past the flooded area. Added some unexpected time to my commute and made me a bit late for work.

Unfortunately, I misjudged how muddy the "dry" parts of the trail would be. My road bike is covered in mud. This is going to be an extremely busy weekend and now I have to figure how to squeeze in time to give the bike a wash. First world problem, I guess.