Old 09-16-16, 10:49 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
My fear is I get 20 miles into backwoods and have a serious brake malfunction. What spare parts should I take with me?

With my cantilevers on my old bike it was easy: spare cable, cable yoke, cable stop and pads. Thinking a spare set of pads, extra pad axle and clip and a couple of rotor bolts. If anything else breaks, well, I can see that the brakes probably won't be fixable on the trail. Am I a worry-wart or is my thinking correct?

Opinions please....
In the last 15+ years of using disc brakes, I can't remember replacing/needing to adjust/repair any part or a hydraulic system out on the trail (I have only used Shimano and Magura systems)

For the little clip you mention, I have lost these on rides, and it's only a secondary safety, as long as the bolt is done up, the system is perfectly usable with out it. For the pad axle, if your really concerned about this, carry a split pin or spare.

For rotor bolt (if you are using a 6 bolt hub), you have 5 others if one fails (make sure you have a T25 Torx key on your multi tool if you ever need to tighten on the trail (again, if done up correctly this shouldn't ever happen).

Pads are worth carrying, make sure you have the correct ones for your brakes, I always carry a set, but have never needed to fit any (preventative maintenance at home). I have ridden with friends who have had to replace pads on the trail, preventative maintenance would have neglected the need for this.