View Single Post
Old 09-19-16, 08:40 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by cargomama
Yesterday I rode the bike about 15 miles with some handed down gloves. Didn't get any road buzz the whole time (though on a smooth trail mostly). I kept the weight off my hands as much as I could and tried very hard to keep my elbows soft. My hands would bother me some but never really hurt. I think the tension has been shifted to my lower back as it started hurting within a few miles and continued the whole trip. Thankfully it didn't continue long after getting straightened up after the ride. Is this normal?
Yes, pretty much. The lower back gets used, so it's partly discomfort from the new position, and partly sore muscles getting stronger. Eventually the discomfort should disappear entirely, as your body adapts. It's not a bad idea BTW for cyclist to do some sit ups now and again, to counterbalance the new stronger back muscles.

Glad to hear that you were able to ride 15 miles comfortably. Soon enough you'll be able to ride 50 or 100 -- if you want to that is.