Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Hahaha

Well, just so you know:

- UCI technical bike rules have specific weight and dimensions.
- Judging by your bike size, I'm assuming that you are of below-average height and would therefore probably qualify for an anthropomorphic exception to allow the nose of your saddle within 5cm of a vertical line through your bottom bracket.
- USA Cycling rules say that all of their events must follow UCI rules, so if you do US Nationals or UCI Worlds, you have to abide by them.
- All bikes are supposed to be checked before an event. This will happen at Worlds and might happen at US Nationals.
- If your bike fails (for any reason) you must either correct the offending thing, use a different bike, or not race.

I've seen people train all year then fail bike check 15 minutes before their event at Nationals and are stymied.

It really doesn't matter at any event outside of Nationals or Worlds. I've never seen bikes measured at a local event. But, if your plan is to go to Worlds, that should be considered. For example, I had a guy tell me, "I'd love to ride with my saddle 2cm more forward, but that wouldn't pass at Nationals. So, I'm learning to ride it the right way now so I'm used to it." because that was his goal for the year, to medal at Nationals.
A commissaire would try that with a post menopausal woman at their extreme peril...

Seriously, Ex will help me make sure the bike is completely within spec long before I go to any big show type event. The sooner the better!