View Single Post
Old 09-21-16, 05:07 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben I.
I really hoping the weather holds out. I don't mind the course being wet or damp but rather not have a downpour during it. Ideally, cool but not cold would be good too. Those of you have done it before, I currently have Challenge Gravel Grinders ~38mm, on my gravel bike and was hoping that would be okay since it's a gravel ride and not tons of mud like cyclocross would be. Anyone have thoughts on that? Would it be best to get cross tires with more tread?
I rode the 45 mile loop last year. These are my observations and are based on my own personal skills (or lack of skills). For me it wasn't the mud but the sand. There were some couple of larger "sand traps" that I had to hike through. I was on my Giant TCX cross bike running 33mm cross tires. I had to hike it through this sections. Also there was a couple of section of road that had some deeper sandy spots that were pretty challenging... It really is going to depend on the condition of the sand... looks like they are going to get some more rain this week but next week looks rather dry...