Old 09-22-16, 06:49 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I put 1x on my commuter because the frame didn't have a braze-on FD mount.

In all seriousness, I just wanted to try it. I did a Force group with an 11-42 Apex cassette so I didn't have to worry about the XD driver body for my Hope hubs.

I have bikes in the garage with Di2, eTap and EPS, as well as several mechanical group sets ranging from current to the mid-80s and I just wanted to try it.

I'm 100% road (don't even own a MTB), a buddy works for SRAM and putting together a group set was about the same as cost as a Tiagra/105 build.

I kept the standard 42t chainring and I can't complain on form and function (regarding the gaps). The bike it's on will never see a race, will most likely never see a group ride (unless commuting in a non-paceline format with other people is considered that). Someday it might be used to do a tour, I specifically built the bike to be about comfort/endurance.

I didn't care about weight, heck the cassette is something like 530g alone. With loaded panniers, the bike exceeds 33 pounds anyway.

For me, it really came to having something 'different' and I like riding conversation pieces.