View Single Post
Old 09-24-16, 10:23 AM
Triplecrank92

Bikes: '93 Cannondale R500; '88 Centurion Ironman Expert, '97 Cannondale R900, '95 Serotta CSI, '83 Trek 700, '97 Lemond Zurich, '89 Bianchi Giro, '87 Schwinn Prologue, '83 Fuji TSIV + one perturbed wife

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 58 Posts
New Observation: While annoyed by the noise, I still rode it on a 20 miler. I noticed that toward the end of the ride, the frequency of noise was reduced, but not gone. At the start, the wheels were clicking away.

I did speak with a cycling mechanic guru and before I could finish my story, he said "spoke prep". He uses a lube where the spokes cross. He said what he used would dry but still lube the spokes. So, I am going to check the LBSs and give this a try. Will let everyone know:

Poda: Thanks for the feedback on the RR511. It is nice to be able to eliminate that has a possibility.

Trueblood:
1. I'm pretty sure that the noise is coming from the wheels. It sounds as though it is in front and behind me. My compadres have ridden beside me and said the same thing.
2. The noise does decrease when I coast but does not go away completely. Rough roads will aggravate the frequency of the sounds. Pedaling will do the same, especially in the rear wheel. I would assume applying torque to the rear wheel is causing that.
3. Nothing else on the bike has changed. I doubt it would be the pedals. I would consider it highly coincidental that the pedals would start making noise immediately after the wheels were just rebuilt.

Thanks for the feedback!