Thread: Commute Curious
View Single Post
Old 09-27-16, 11:36 AM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Riding in the dark isn't something you should take lightly, however. More cyclists are killed and injured during night riding than during daylight hours and there are far fewer cyclist that ride at night.
I don't have any data to backup my opinion but I think dawn and dusk are the worst times. The low sun blinds drivers and lights have a hard time to compete with sun. At night with decent lights a bicyclist can be quite visible.

Even during the day time there are dark spots (often shade from trees on bright days) where a cyclist can disappear.

For those situations I installed Reelight blinkers on my bike. The light isn't as bright as I'd like but once installed you can forget about it. Hub generator of course would be nicer. I forced these lights upon my kids as well. So with a little luck these lights make a difference. For (potential) night riding I do recommend additional and brighter lights.