jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
These things are more complex that.

IMO the key element is who got there first and when, plus the position of the bicyclist. These details are still not unknown to me, so I'm not assigning any blame, and am more concerned here with takeaways riders can use and learn from.

If the bicycle was there or approaching first and the driver caught up to her at or near the light, it's 100%, undeniably the driver's fault because he knew or should have known she was there and acted accordingly.

However, if the truck were stopped at the corner, and the cyclist rolled up on the right and stopped behind the cab, then she placed herself in the blind spot, and we can say whatever we want but the driver couldn't see her, and I have a hard time blaming anyone for not being psychic.

Regardless of fault, which it isn't my job to apportion, the takeaway here is to not shoal stopped long trucks, and if you do, to make sure you're seen, or have an escape route in the event the truck starts to turn.

I ride among commercial trucks every day, and (hate to admit it) shoal stopped traffic routinely. But if there's a truck at the corner, I either wait behind him, or if there's no turn signal may ride up, but only if I'm confident that I can pass him completely before the light changes. I also make it a point to get the driver's attention, and routinely call out "don't turn right".

In contrast to a post a few up, If I'm next to a truck or bus waiting at the light, I don't wait, and will even jump it slightly to get out in front as the light turns. My acceleration is batter than that of a heavy vehicle so I'm always well clear before he can begin his turn.

So the point here isn't to blame the driver or the cyclist who paid dearly for her mistake IF she made one. It's to remind anyone who cares that cyclists should not spend any time riding or stopped between the front and rear axles because they can't be seen there.
Yeah. The point is exactly that. Start HOLDING PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE FOR KILLING PEOPLE! Jesus H Chriist. All this hand wringing and crap. Motorists are killing thousands of freaking people every year, and everybody here wants to do an in-depth analysis. This elbow killed a woman. It was his damned fault!