Old 09-29-16, 05:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18380 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
We covered that earlier today
It says nothing about turn signals, or timing with when the bike and truck arrived next to each other.

When approaching an intersection, I try to look for stopped vehicles with turn signals on. And never pass to the right of a vehicle that is signalling unless I know:
  1. The vehicle is stopping for me.
  2. I can get 100% past the vehicle with enough space in front to be visible.
  3. There are a few cars ahead that aren't signalling that I believe I can also pass.
And, when stopped next to a vehicle, I often try to get a little bit ahead of them (to a visible spot) and look back for turn signals. Of course trucks can have problems seeing anything to the right of them.

One of the problems is that turn signals whether on or off are not always visible to people to the side of the turning vehicle, an issue that DOT needs to seriously look at. There is work on improving signal visibility, but it certainly isn't universal. So, a person might be standing next to a truck that is signalling, and not be able to see the signals.

I've been around trucks enough to know that the rear wheels don't follow the front. Semi Trucks are the worst, but apparently little bobtail trucks are also problematic. When this woman realized the truck was turning, did she take evasive actions? How much? And, how quickly did the truck accelerate for the turn?