View Single Post
Old 09-29-16, 11:55 PM
RandyO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been lurking here off and on and finally made a few posts so I guess I'm obligated to do the "Intro" thing. I'm a 62 Y.O. male currently in year 41 of a life sentence W/O parole (my wife never reads forums ).

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Just sold my seldom used Novara Safari (Touring Hybrid) and replaced it with a Tern Node D16. Too big to carry around but small enough to be hauled in my vehicle to provide me with more riding opportunities.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Been taking at a minimum some type of multivitamin forever, but as I’ve learned more about nutrition and health I’ve added more supplements (D, B-complex, Curcumin, Fish Oil, occasional extra “C”, off and on with Glucosamine Chondroitin, and Magnesium).

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

Only nagging wear and tear slows me down. Physically I feel better than ever due to the dietary improvements and significant weight loss. The Low-Carb Paleo lifestyle has energized me overall. I've always tried to be active one way or another but 40+ years of being overweight has left me with a few foot and heel issues that have minimized my fondness for 3 to 5 mile hikes and led me to increase my cycling.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Never a serious biker, but usually had a bike around. Maybe cycle once or twice a month at most until my mid 40’s, and then only a little more often. Started riding more consistently in my 50’s but even then not more than a couple of times a week for less than 15 miles per ride.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Recently – and for the foreseeable future I’ll probably be riding 3 or 4 times a week at most. Typically 2 or 3 short rides (5 to 7 miles) per week and one longer ride (15-20 miles) on a weekend. Babysitting grandkids 3 days a week, a full time job, taking care of life's necessities, and another hobby does not leave me with significant cycling time.