Thread: Commute Curious
View Single Post
Old 10-01-16, 08:35 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
i've been using ~$20 front and rear blinkies for "night" riding on chicago's streets for the past 8 years with great success.

if you find that you need more lighting in cities than rural areas, that's cool. i find the exact 100% opposite to be true, at least in the case of chicago's extremely over-illuminated streets.

strokes and folks.....
It depends on the $20 (or less) light.

But you are missing the point. Every urban area is over-illuminated...although there are still plenty of places where you need a light to actually "see" where you are going. The reason you need lots of lights in cities is because urban areas are over-illuminated. It's not about seeing where you are going but being seen while you are going. A small "be seen" light simply isn't going to be "seen" in a sea of other lights. Bright lights of similar output to the other light sources around (see link) are really the "be seen" lights. You need to catch the attention of the motorists with lights that make them question whether that light coming towards them is attached to something large enough to worry about.

Now if Pugs has a magical bike path that runs from door-to-door, a "be seen" light will probably work, although there are places where having more illumination is helpful even on bike paths. But I doubt that any bike path system is that comprehensive. All of us have to spend a little bit of time on roadways and it's a very good idea to actually be seen, instead of thinking we are seen.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!