Bikes: Wall Mart Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silex
Crankset Double Shimano Ultegra 6750 170mm 50/34t - $400.00
Cassette Shimano Ultegra 6700 11-25 10spd - $100.00

Market price online for these seems to be $150-200 for the crankset and $40-50 for the cassette. There are separate charges for labor costs on the quote, so this is just the price I'm being charged for the components. I'm happy to support a local business but this seems like an excessive discrepancy. What am I missing?
You are not missing anything.

This is standard fleecing by Old School Brick & Mortar business that can't adapt to an Internet Business Model, and attempts to fleece unknowing folks by charging 2x or more for parts, and then really jabbing you on the labor

Sooner or later they will all be out of business.

Nothing to do with the Bike Industry........it's standard across many verticals these days.

I love smoking Pipe Tobacco for example. Check out a tin of your favorite tobacco at the Local Shop vs. the modern day on line supplier and get ready to pay 4x more for the exact same tobacco (that's less fresh

But you get all the same forum peeps clamoring at you to support the local shop, as if it's your responsibility to pay 4x more so that dude can have a cool job ??

2x/3x/4x more adds up to too much over time for me to keep "SUPPORTING" these local shops.

The Internet is your friend

Last edited by ZenForest; 10-03-16 at 11:11 PM.