View Single Post
Old 10-04-16, 05:49 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor
I've been a fairly serious bicyclist for over 50-years but have had seven knee surgeries (three on the left and four on the right) during that time. I can ride 60 or more miles at a decent pace with little knee pain and ride at least 8-hours a week. My normal post ride drug regimen was 1400 mg of Ibuprofen and a double IPA pint of beer followed by another 1400 mg Ibuprofen an hour before bed. I seldom had trouble sleeping due to knee soreness.

BUT - I recently experienced more than three consecutive days of excruciating abdominal pain- the worst I've ever experience in my long and eventful life. After two ER visits and many painful and intrusive tests I was diagnosed with a Cecal Ulcer caused by Ibuprofen abuse. I've been told that I have to stop using any NASIDs of any kind.

My research show that folks over 65 (I'm 69) have a 10x higher incidence of Cecal Ulcers if they have a long history of Ibuprofen abuse. Complete avoidance of NASIDs in those cases almost always result in a complete healing of the ulcer.

I've not had any NASID in the last two weeks and my ulcer is almost pain free. But, my knees are killing me and I have a get deal of difficulty sleeping at night. My knees just ache and ache and I cannot find a way to make them comfortable. The pain is not sharp or intense but is constant and significant. I've cut my riding back to 15 - 20 miles of low intensity flat land riding four times a week but it does not seem to diminish the discomfort.

My GP and Gastroenterologist offer no good suggestions for a reasonable pain management drug to take after riding that does not have nasty side effects.

Does anyone here have any experience with a non-Nasid / non-Opioid pain management drug for long term night time knee and leg pain?

My orthopedic surgeon really wants to replace both my knees but I am not there yet.
You could try Tumeric.
Turmeric Benefits - What is Turmeric? | Dr. Weil