Old 10-05-16, 04:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Commute as training - just ride hard?

Originally Posted by scott.undefined
I've been reading a lot of stuff about training but I'm still not sure what to do.A coach is not out of the question (in a few months...I'm just getting back onthe saddle.)

My current status. 36 year old male. Dabbled in cycling over the last15years...but never took it seriously. I'm starting a commute - 16 miles each way, Tues, Wed, Thurs. That's about 6 hours of riding...although I could extend some rides as needed...shortening themwould be a bit more difficult. I'm alsoplanning to do some MTB riding on the weekend (likely late night). No long road rides are possible (not with family etc.).

I'd like to start taking it seriously. I'd like to get fast. That is all. I'd like to be able to hammer for about an hour (or two), feeling like a champion. I'd also like to have a simple program with my rides. I used to train hard for running so I know how my body feels whenI'm pushing it too hard.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Ah,well, one of the best ways to ensure you can stick to something is to keep it fun!
I’m in a somewhat similar situation, and I have developed my own program based on commuting, with @ThermionicScott’s advice in mind. I replied to this thread on the Training and Nutrition Forum, “Doing more with less? (time-strapped cyclist).”

Originally Posted by Jimfrom Boston
...last year I developed for myself my" Time-restricted, Personally Ambitious, but Non-competitive Cyclist Training Routine," as discussed on this Fifty-Plus thread, “Riding versus Training” (also with other good training tips).

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
About two weeks ago I described a new training routine for myself combining a well-established Ten Week Century TrainingSchedule of daily mileage goals with a personalized intensity scale based on ”Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE).” My basic premise was that I wanted to get significantly fit, within a busy work/family time-crunched life, but not suffer so much that I would abandon the program.

I’m a 40+ year cyclist and I ride mainly for fitness. During nearly all of my 40 cycling years, my training has been by mileage. This year though, I decided to go for speed (intensity), and I use the semi-quantitative, standardized, but personally relavant system of (Borg’s) Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE), with my own particular adaptation…. I use cadence to chose gears to maintain my desired exertion….

I do have the advantages of a very nice minimum 14 mile one way commute that is easily extended; and a high end, very comfortable carbon fiber road bikethat encourages riding…
For weekly mileage, here’s the recommendation of two experienced cycle-commuters:

Originally Posted by tsl
…I was concerned about getting decent miles in…It takes me 50 miles a week just to feel good and normal, I feel fantastic over100 miles a week, and like Superman over 150
I particularly agree with your assessment of weekly mileage,though at over 150 miles per week, I call it hyper-fit
Finally,

Originally Posted by scott.undefined
... Also, I am not as young as I once was - these reminders are legitimately helpful. I have a tendency of burning the candle at both ends.(Fortunately, I have yoga at work so that helps with the non-injury side of things!!)
My understanding of overall physical fitness is that the four components are endurance, strength, flexibility, and balance. For me yoga incorporates flexibility and balance. For various periods of time I did yoga daily, and about six years ago I even could stand on my head. My practice waned…and I didn’t take it up again until last month.

I have found over the years it to be very effective for flexibility and balance though I don’t think it necessarily helps my cycling (endurance), but I think my cycling helps my yoga..

I usually do my yoga in our office suite after hours. I need at least a carpeted floor and a large space, at least about 10 x 10 feet with about a 7 foot ceiling to do my exercises. I tell various personnel who might be coming through not to look because it isn’t pretty.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-05-16 at 06:12 AM.