View Single Post
Old 10-05-16, 07:50 PM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pauley L
Just the truth...

Length: Nobody is interested in watching 17 minutes of you riding. Edit it down. Mix up the shots. Example: nobody wants to watch you climb up a boring fire road.

Framing #1: Include a rider in front of you (or behind, see below) to make the video more interesting.

Framing #2: When using a helmet mount make sure that your schnoz and helmet are not in the frame. Since you're using a FF you can mount the Gopro under the chin guard, mount it teletubby-style, or adjust the side mounting angle and/or adjust the FOV to medium.

Framing #3: Mount the camera so that it is looking where a rider's eyes should be looking. Down the trail. You've mounted it pointing too low.

Framing#4: Mix in off-bike footage to make your video more interesting. You can also attach the camera to various parts of your bike but in my experience much of that footage is crap.

Shakiness: When using a static (not gimbal) mount, it's really important to use your legs, arms, neck, head, etc. to absorb trail shock to ensure the smoothest capture possible. This becomes even more important as speeds increase.

Speed: More speed = more interesting footage. This comes with experience.

Sound: Edit to a tune while retaining trail noise to make your video more engaging. Use Gopro's plug to eliminate the clicking/knocking.
Well Mr Pauley L, it looks like you have managed to get yourself banned in a total of 25 post.

Originally Posted by Biker395
^ All good advice. Lemme tell you ... it is a lot of work to snip together a good video, find appropriate music, and at least roughly synchronize the two.
Snipping is certainly a skill that I will have to learn. I actually have other videos from both the top of my helmet, and from the straps on my Camelbak to play with. As far as music, finding good pieces that are free, and not copyright protected is a chore. I have another video that I put music to from the strap mount that was kind of fun. I'll keep playing with it.

Originally Posted by jtaylor2
Actually I liked it. I only watched about 8 minutes, but it was exactly what it said it was, video of a mountain bike ride. Contrary to other opinions I liked the downward perspective so you could see the front wheel and how it was negotiating obstacles. It would probably be better without the helmet in the picture, but then again it wasn't that distracting. I also liked that it had the actual ride sounds instead of music. If it had music it probably wouldn't be something I liked and I'm watching a bike ride. If I wanted a music video professional ones are all over the web.

Thanks for inviting me along on your ride.

Jim

Thanks!