Old 10-07-16, 01:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My rear wheel was warped worse than that exactly a month ago. (See "Warped rim salvageable?"). Sideways skid on loose gravel on asphalt, masked by recent blacktopping. The sideways skid and sudden stop when the rear wheel hit clean asphalt again caused the warp. No broken spokes and I didn't fall. Just lucky.

The LBS literally whanged the rim back into shape against a wooden work bench, then tweaked the spokes. I've been riding the bike for a month since then. No problems. And it's just a 24 y/o Araya P-45 single wall rim on a Shimano Exage hub. But I ride that bike mostly on pavement and try to avoid rough stuff.

However when the rear wheel on my other bike potato-chipped after a spoke broke during normal riding last spring, I opted for a new wheel. Because the spoke broke at the hub on the drive side I figured the old spokes would just keep popping and I'd end up spending more on spoke repairs than just buying a new wheel. I use that bike for rougher conditions, gravel and hauling groceries (up to 50 lbs), so I had the LBS install a modestly priced double wall rim, Weinmann Zac-19 with heavier gauge spokes and whatever hub the ready-made wheel came with. Good value compared with piecemeal repairs.