View Single Post
Old 12-10-05, 10:51 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Frankly I have never had problems with it either in group rides... as long as the group is tightly bunched. If that tight bunch sees a stoplight ahead, then as a group they stop, if the light is green, then as a group they proceed. If it turning red, then any part of the tightly packed group goes through as though it is simply one long vehicle... but at the first break in the group, they have to stop.

Even if the group is 200 people, generally the tight bunches are no more then 15 or 20 or so riders. So it is only the smaller sub groups that act as a single large vehicle.
Exactly. In fact it's often used as a "tactic" of sorts on a local Sat. morning training ride. If a small group is off the front and a chase group is trying to reel them in but the front group makes the green and the chase group doesn't, well, too bad you're not catching on now .

On oft-heard refrain on the Saturday morning ride is "I/we was/were closing the gap, but got caught at the light..."

As long as the gapped riders aren't blowing through the light I don't see what the problem is, if the tail-end of the front group ekes through on red when it was still green or yellow for the first rider.

I think this whole debate underscores a rift between the spandex/racer set, and the utility/transportation cyclist set, while ignoring the fact that there are many of us who wear both hats (helmets?).

-Trevor