Old 10-11-16, 07:38 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
Well, maybe you forgot something; protocol. Passing without warning, while it may seem to make sense to you, could have legal repercussions if indeed you happened to run into someone OR if someone runs into you. If you call out "on your left" or ring a bell and the people do something stupid like jump in front of you...Hey, then it's on them...to a degree. I say to a degree because when passing you still have a responsibility to control your bike. That means you have to pass, "safely", even if that means slowing to a crawl. Now if you don't give audible warning when passing you can still have people suddenly move into your path, it can happen. That's how commuter paths are and why the rules state you MUST give warning when passing. If you give no audible warning you risk danger to yourself and others. If the people don't hear your warning that doesn't give you the right to ignore potential danger. You still have the responsibility to pass safely even if that means riding by realllllllly slow. When I pass on commuter paths I give a warning at about fifty feet. If I see no response I slow and repeat when I'm at about 10ft. As I see it you are ignoring safety rules simply because you find it inconvenient to safely control the bike. I've walked commuter paths before and I know what it's like to get buzzed by a cyclist. That said, it's one of the reasons why I hate to ride commuter paths when they are busy.

Yeah, walkers are a PITA because they are often distracted. Keep in mind it works the other way as well. Some months ago I almost ran into a jogger on a commuter path because I was looking at my GPS map........Stupid Me!....Taught me a lesson though, " I will never mess with an app again while riding on a commuter path"!
If a moron has earbuds on and they can't hear me it's their fault for not being able to hear me. If they don't have earbuds on then they're in the wrong for not riding or walking on the right. There are other issues to that can be brought up too.