Old 10-12-16, 06:05 PM
Pops1959

Bikes: Specialized Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano Rapidfire Shifter (Front)

Well, now I've gone and done it.... I just don't what I've done! lol. I obtained some yellow cable housing that I thought would look good on my bike and proceeded to change things out. The cable for the front derailleur needed to be changed out as well. And that's where the problem began.

First I unscrewed the little plastic screw cap which gave me access to the cable. I then pushed the cable out. It came out with no resistance at all. All good and well. The new cable fought me going in, and in fact frayed the cable. So I got out a second one and after a bit of careful wiggling was able to get the cable into the the shifter. The problem at this point is that the cable does not go in all the way. Pulled the cable out and checked my shift lever positions. Nothing works. I can get two clicks out of the upshift lever, rather than three, and only one on the down shift. The indicator in the window does not move at all. Thankfully I bought it from Amazon 3 weeks ago, and it's still returnable. In fact a new one is on the way even as we speak. But I am curious as to what might have happened so that I don't get a repeat performance at some point in the future.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.