Old 10-12-16, 07:23 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's no need to argue this point. There are many people who are very concerned about what MAY happen, and focused on the multitude of POSSIBLE negative outcomes.

OTOH - I suspect that you're more like me and pay more attention to what does or does not happen, and accept the small risks of some sudden untoward event as part of life. So, yes, someone may get a notion and do something at any time, but that's always true, and what are the odds that they'll pick that exact moment where I'm too close to react.

On the MUP, I may or may not announce my presence based on my perception of the situation; how much room there is, how consistent pedestrians or cyclists were as I approached, or any number of other things we all use when making judgement calls. I should point out that I'm probably insensitive to the quiet pass issue since I'm a 50 year road rider and used to being passed by cars without warning.
Exactly, nice way of wording it. I'm older too, 63 to be exact, and experience does count for something. Sometimes I do announce my approach and sometimes I don't, like you said we read the situation and make a decision. I've actually ran into more close encounters with peds when I announced I was coming then when I don't because people get confused where left is. But there are times when it is necessary to announce and wait for the peds to figure out where left is and move to the right.

I'm pretty good at handling a bike, I have no problem handling grass, gravel, or dirt on 700x23/25 tires. Before there were mountain bikes myself and a gang I knew would ride mountain dirt trails on just road bikes! So that experience taught me a lot about bike control.