Old 10-12-16, 07:23 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Just turned 50 on 1/27/05

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
25 year old steel Davidson with Campy NR mix of parts.
23 year old steel Zilioli with Campy SR pantograph, columbus SL tubing. A classic high-end Italian racing bike.

A 1 week old Kuota Kharma CF bike with Campy Chorus and other Italian parts. (You get the feeling I'm biased to Italian bikes and parts?) The only thing non-Italian are the pedals (Look) and the inner tubes, even the tires are Vittoria. (Yes I know, made in Thailand, the frame is actually made in Taiwan too.) This bike is a rocket. I wish I had something like this when I was younger.

10 year old Trek 8000 mtb. All Aluminum, Shimano Deore DX components.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Say what??? I'm still as agile as ever, and faster on the bike than I ever was. No need for this stuff.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
See above.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I bought a Peugeot PX10 when I was 15. Been riding ever since.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Long fast rides when I have the time. Short fast rides otherwise. I went 35 miles today in 35 degree temps, and I could've gone another 35, but ran out of time.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
4-5 times a week when the daylight permits. I don't commute. I did about 2500 miles last year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Does chasing after twins count? If I had more time I'd ride more.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
Eleven years have elapsed since I replied, wow. So, an update:

First off, I'm 61 now.

1. I still have the Davidson, Trek 8000 and the Zilioli, but I crashed the Kuota Kharma and replaced the frame with a Kuota Kredo within months of buying it. I still ride the Kredo. I also have a Trek 7000 mtb from 1990 that I upgraded with XT parts. Maybe you'd say it isn't worth doing, but I didn't spend much. This has become my commuter bike.

2/3 Still don't take anything. I've slowed a little in the past 11 years.

4 hasn't changed of course.

5. I still do occasional long rides of 50+ miles, and a century or two per year. A few years ago I attempted to climb Mt. Haleakala in Maui, 10,000 feet of climbing, all uphill, no break. I "only" made it to the 6000 foot mark, by far the longest climb I've ever done. I still want to try it again. I also started commuting about 5-6 years ago, 10 miles each way, but only once or twice a week.

6. Still the same, although this year was maybe less because of work. I still try to get out as much as possible.

7. The twins are in college, the only other exercise are arm lifts. Beer glasses are heavy.