Old 10-13-16, 06:37 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Actually my most intensely personal time is riding. It's my uninterrupted time to embrace the "spiritual" aspect so to speak. I've often found it most helpful during the worst times in my life, such as a few years ago when an immediate family member had terminal cancer. Also many of my most positive moments were spent riding and in other athletic activities - because I am NOT a natural athlete, I have struggled with weight issues much of my life -been as heavy as 220ish when my ideal is about 160 - and I never had much opportunity as a kid to get involved in sports - my parents thought athletics were a waste of time, only academics counted in my family. So it's a lot more meaningful to me to be able to do physical challenges - honestly, I'm probably more personally proud of my first Sprint triathlon finish in 2013 (? Maybe 2012 - yikes I can't remember the year!) in the 62nd percentile for men in my age class (45-49) than I was obtaining a 2nd bachelors 20-some years ago with a perfect GPA. Basically though, just hopping on and riding does something for me that no other sport comes close to in terms of mental enjoyment - swimming is close perhaps as both allow internal reflection.

Group rides - at this time my schedule just doesn't work with it. I've still been paying my dues to local club and USA Cycling the past few years but the last time I attended a local meeting was late winter 2014 and the last club group ride I did was June 14 IIRC. Well maybe next year.
I understand. There is a man here on BF, a friend of mine, who is an oblate to a Benedictine monastery. He calls his bike his "two wheeled cloister."

I would counter however, and I'm not trying to lecture but just my experience, that it isn't the same as sitting in stillness and silence. I mean interior stillness and silence, not exterior, although that helps. There is so much noise in our lives. Much of that noise comes from within ourselves, the TV screen of our mind.

Taking time to just be still is important. I picture Forrest Gump on the park bench, just sitting.