View Single Post
Old 10-13-16, 08:23 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5810 Post(s)
Liked 2,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryII
This is an exercise bike and the bolt won't be spinning in the hole. There will be a nut on it. I think I have my plan. First week or two, undersized bolt and I'll watch it carefully. After that I'll see. There will be a second and maybe a third attachment point that may be strong enough even if the bolt fails.
Just so you understand, think about how you'd try to remove a fence post in the ground. You grab it and pull it to one side, then to another, then to the side, working your way around in a circle as you enlarge the top of the hole into a cone and keep working this way until you've worked it loose.

This is EXACTLY what will happen to your pedal shaft in the crank. As the crank turns the force applied to the pedal shaft is essentially rotating in the crank. The outer threads will be the first to go, and the process will continue until you have an enlarges hole and loose pedal. You might be able to retighten the nut, but the threads in the crank will be mashed to death.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.