Old 10-13-16, 04:46 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think you just have to look at what motivates innovation and how touring people react to that.

If we accept that innovation usually is sought to fill a perceived need:

As long as new people seek traditional loaded touring bikes they will probably seek traditionally made touring bikes.
What is needed is a strong bike to carry a rider in a relaxed position for moderate to long distances up and down hills.The bikes already available work well and tick off all the boxes so, other than fads, which may or may not last, there is no push to spend/design "better". The need is met - even if some guy says it isn't on a touring forum somewhere. One area that may develop is the IGH and belt drive. Otherwise, there is an outlet for the high end POV, it's called custom order and that works well enough as it is.

The problem with trying to mass produce an off the shelf ultimate touring bike is that people who seek such things are very particular about modifications and would never be completely satisfied, as a group, with whatever was presented. Joe wants 36h rims, Fred 40. 700cc/26". Drop bar/trekking bar... Just make a thread here as to what components would comprise the ultimate touring bike and watch the fun ensue.

When innovations do occur is when the tour(er) wants to change the parameters of the tour and thus, the equipment used. Off road tourers wanted/needed a different bike to handle the terrain demands so we see "adventure bikes" and bike packing gear being developed. When it's an off road race we see cyclocross bikes being used (important point).

When tourers want to go faster they do seek lighter bikes and performance oriented gear, especially if there is a competitive angle like randoneering or races like RAMM or Trans Am. There is always the conflict of comfort/reliability vs speed/performance. It's a potent driver.

Now for that important point! When people make that leap they do not look for a traditional touring bike made out of exotic, high priced materials - they look for stronger road racing bikes that maybe offer fatter tires and a relaxed geometry. Just like off road riders look towards cyclocross for their needs. All the design innovation has already been done and manufactured and is immediately available without custom ordering or creating a new class of touring bike. Cervelo, Felt, Trek road bikes... all are being used by fast CC or supported tourers. No one asks Surly to custom make a LHT with CF for that sort of riding.

So, yes some people look to faster, lighter, more exotic bikes for touring. That happens. And they mostly look to the large pool of already available advanced and tested bikes in other genres. No fast/racing tourer is looking for a bike that can also carry 50lb's of gear in 4 panniers. That's the essential disconnect.

I'm in that zone right now as I want to do a longer tour faster, probably CC or supported in the future. I'm not looking at robust touring bikes and wishing I could make them lighter. I'm looking at fast road bikes and wondering how I can make them tour capable.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-13-16 at 05:16 PM.