Old 10-13-16, 08:02 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
01 Cat Man Do; thanks for being more civilized in your response.

I did in fact state that sometimes I yell which I eluded to in post 57; and it post 30 I gave conditions in which I may yell or not.

Experience of riding for over 40 years has enabled me to read a situation quickly. There are two groups of people generally; the first is a group walking, I can't pass those without saying anything because they take up the entire path; the second is a single or a couple walking most of the time, unless they are taking the whole path or walking down the center I pass without warning. And again keep in mind that at all times I have my eye on an out, if a walker suddenly were to move into my path of travel I will go into the grass. I don't make a hazardous pass without an exit plan; but I've been doing this for 40 years and haven't yet had a conflict where I had to use the exit plan.

Encountering cyclists is slightly different, I will almost always yell at a cyclist because they are traveling at close to the same speed as I am, so if they were to suddenly move into my path a conflict possibility is higher vs whizzing by someone at 15 or so mph greater.

Again keep in mind that times have changed a lot over the last at least 10 years. Prior to so many earbud people I could yell more often then I do today because about 99% of earbud users can't hear you until you're right beside them which by then is too late anyways, so to prevent the possibility of a late response then have the person go left instead of right because people don't know their lefts and rights anymore, it's just safer to pass fast without warning. Obviously my biggest conflict with people occur on weekends, during the weekdays there are very few people on the bike path.

It's these moronic earbud wearers is the reason why I try to stay off the bike paths especially on the weekends which is ironic since the bike paths are suppose to make it safer for cyclists to ride on vs the street!