Old 10-14-16, 04:32 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
I've always had the habit of using the same bike until it got stolen, I forgot where I left it or it needed a repair I didn't feel like doing. The last 8 eight years I was switching between a 18 gear hybrid Peugeot and and compact single speed, non folding and a bit BMX like Batavus, but I really needed change.

The reasons were that both of them had rim brakes, I don't like rim brakes anyway but I've my bikes in an underground bike park in the appartement block, and it's a very steep ramp and at the end I have to brake quite hard not to crash into a wall or a neighbour. So I had to readjust the brakes for wear every other month and I don't like that, especially on the compact one that was a fiddly job. Also the chains on both weren't fully covered and required a lot of maintenance, the Peugeot was a bit too flimsy anyway especially with the Paris-Roubaix style cobble stones in front of my house, and both bikes weren't very easy for carrying stuff. I like a heavy gear, but the ride position on the Peugeot gave me pain in the shoulder and the Batavus is single gear.

So I went out to buy me a used Dutch bike with a full chain case, rod operated drum brakes and SA3 and got me a 10 year old Ga***** oma, a quite young model but unchanged for about 70 years. At least that was what I assumed, the build quality had changed much more than I expected, and the oma geometry allowed for much more flexing than I remembered from previous oma's I've owned or ridden. The front rack with crate I put on was nice, but I really couldn't average 12 mph without sweating because of the lack of rigidity in the frame, and to get a decent ride position to put down power I had to raise the saddle a lot, ruining the nice ride position of an oma because the handlebars don't allow for much raising.

So I went out and bought a men's 70's roadster with a top tube, same features, much better quality, 65 cm frame size, brooks saddle, bought a different type of front rack and now I enjoy longer distances and averaging 12 mph again. Should have bought one like that years ago, but I just didn't because I still had bikes that worked.