View Single Post
Old 10-15-16, 01:33 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I used to. Then I sold a couple of bikes per semester for my son's tuition and expenses, and ended up with a lot fewer bikes and a less complicated life. I eliminated my bike fund and scrape to get what I want now, on purpose.

Things change. I don't.
Yup. This. My bike fund used to be a zero-sum game for me, where each October I would compare what I spent to what I sold. I "won" the game if I came out close to even each year. Somehow, though, I would break even but the herd itself got larger. I backed off of that a couple years ago and began to pass along a lot of bikes, parts, and frames. And RT is right: life is a lot less complicated, especially since I really only ride a couple of those that remain with any degree of regularity.

Responding to the original posting though: I put the periodic sales of parts and bikes into a sock and use the money to travel with my wife in the summer. So while I still have a couple of pricey bikes hanging about in the studio, I feel pretty good about how the bike fund has gotten used.