Old 12-11-05, 03:24 PM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Extreme commute club: week 7

Worked on my bike a bit today, getting ready for the week ahead. It is now that time of year when tire selection for the day/week starts to weigh on my mind. I have 2 front wheels, one with a studded tire and one with a treaded tire. I have a treaded back tire, which is on the rim, and a studded that I can put on if I need it. I don't like running the studded tires if I don' t have to because they are so slow. The weather is calling for some, but not a lot, of snow. That will normally mean the treaded will be fine.... but what if there are icy roads or packed snow to worry about? Guess I'll just wait to the morning and see what it all looks like then. My default will be the studded front and the treaded back. It's WAY worse to lose control of the front tire than the back and if there is no snow, at least I will be able to ride around 15 mph with that combo on.

Someone asked me about cars and riding in the winter - didn't I worry about them sliding into me? I do, of course, but my experience the last 3 winters is that the cagers are extra careful around me in the winter. Maybe they think that I might tip over under their tires, but they are giving me way more space than in the other seasons. How about the rest of you? Does the winter months affect cager behavior?