Old 10-17-16, 09:56 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Interesting hybrids

The other day I was looking at bicycles on the Canadian Tire web site (with 1970's technologies like threaded headsets) and wondering if I could find bicycles that would be acceptable (even if it's Shimano Tourney) but also upgradable. I mean sometimes web sites have huge sales on Shimano Deore shifters. Of course, if someone wanted to change the chain, cassette, crankset and shifters to 9 or 10 speeds, they'd be better off with a bike that already has an 8 speed cassette so you wouldn't have to change the rear wheel. Besides, the lower cost models often have more comfortable, laid back riding positions.

Anyway, I decided to make a list of bicycles that have threaded headsets, aluminium frames and cro-mo or aluminium forks. I also chose models with V-brakes because I prefer the simplicity of V-brakes over disc brakes. Sometimes I wish these same models were also available with 26" or 27.5" wheels but the bias in the cycling industry remains. I suppose part of if might be the fact that they're often using the same subcontractors. I believe wheel size should be proportional to your height (and to keep the same steering angles for everyone.) I also included models with rigid forks which are more reliable over the long term than suspension forks.

The models with 36 spoke wheels might be suitable for heavier riders.

KHS Vitamin B
alu frame, cro-mo forks, 8 speed cassette (11-34T), 28 spoke wheels, 28c tires, rear eyelets (for panniers rack)

Mongoose Artery Comp
alu frame, cro-mo forks, 8 speed cassette (11-32T), 32 spoke wheels, 38c tires, front + rear eyelets

Marin Fairfax SC1
alu frame, cro-mo steerer (this one may have steel blades), 8 speed cassette (11-32T but this one has a 42/34/24 crankset instead of 48/38/28 on the other bikes), 32 spoke wheels, 32c tires, front + rear eyelets

Devinci Milano
alu frame, cro-mo fork, 7 speed cassette (14-34T), 32 spoke wheels, 32c tires, front + rear eyelets

Jamis Allegrosport
alu frame, cro-mo fork, 8 speed cassette (11-32T), 36 spoke wheels, 32c tires, front + rear eyelets, NO chainguard (unlike the others on this list)

Specialized Alibi Sport
alu frame, alu blades/cro-mo steerer, 8 speed cassette (11-34T), 32 spoke wheels, 38c airless? tires, front + rear eyelets

Cannondale Quick 8
alu frame, cro-mo forks, 7 speed cassette (14-34T), 32 spoke wheels (apparently sealed hubs but not sure what they mean), 35c tires, rear eyelets (The Quick 7 may have an 8 speed cassette but has no chainguard. I don't know if those sealed hubs are serviceable.)

Raleight Cadent 1
alu frame, cro-mo forks, 7 speed cassette (13-34T), 36 spoke wheels, 35c tires, but this model has grip shifters and mini V-brakes instead of rapidfire shifters and regular V-brakes It's a bit more of a flat-bar road bike than a hybrid with the higher top tube but the only thing I'd do is install rapidfire shifters and regular-sized grips. This one is more affordable than the other models here.

Another one I'd like to mention for the fun of it is the Raleight Talus 1 which is way cheaper than the other models here. It may have a high-tensile steel frame but it has rigid forks and 27.5" wheels. This may make a real good winter bike (especially if someone installs studded tires).
Availability in Canada may be an issue for the KHS, Mongoose models. And Jamis models may not be available in Quebec.

Other models I looked at: Opus Orpheo 5 (some Opus bikes are gorgeous), Miele Veneto 1, Minelli Performance, Louis Garneau Urbania SC4, Diamondback Trace ST and Trek FX 1. These models were eliminated for having high-tensile steel forks or etc. This doesn't mean they're not good since the fit and feel of the bike specifically for you may be the biggest factor.

Overall though, I'm really impressed by the Specialized Alibi Sport (which also has a women's model) and the Marin Fairfax SC1. I don't know the weight of the airless tires on the Specialized but it may be even more interesting with tires inbedded with fiberglass so you could roll on ice in the winter. The Specialized looks like it has a more relaxed geometry maybe a bit similar to a touring bike. In any case, if I didn't want to spend $2k for a touring bike, I might buy a Specialized Alibi Sport. The chainstay is longer on the Specialized so it's more compatible with riding with rear panniers without hitting them with your feet.

The Raleigh Cadent 1 is also impressive because of its low cost even though it has a higher top tube. If you want to replace the shifters, you may be better off replacing the shifters only instead of choosing a shifter/lever model. Why? Because the brake levers for hybrids/mountain bikes may only be compatible with long-pull brakes. I once installed a large caliper brake on a cheap mountain bike and went over the handlebars when I braked. It was a somewhat painful experience. One downside to grip shifters is if you apply a lot of force on the pedals when riding up a hill, you could end up pulling up a little on your grips which may mean accidentally changing gears. This can cause of lot of friction if the chain doesn't click in to the next cog which may make it more difficult to ride up the hill. Also, the mini V-brakes will limit the size of tires you can install.