Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Let's start with the fact that you have an example of a pitted cone in your link. You didn't get that by "PROPER" service. Your method isn't any different from what I've done a thousand times nor what I teach people at my local co-op every week.

But you are missing my major point. Yes, as you say, play is needed in the cones to accommodate the pressure induced by the quick release. Pre-lawyer lips, this was pretty easy to do since the skewer was set at a specific tension and there was no need to reset it. However, lawyer lips require the nut on the front skewer to be constantly changed when removing and replacing the wheel. There are ways of making sure that this is done consistently...the 1UP nut is the best one in my opinion...but most people don't use anything other than the original skewer nut. If the skewer isn't consistently tightened, the bearings aren't going to be adjusted properly and they can be either too loose or too tight which results in cone pitting.

The rear wheel is less of a problem but the improper use of the front skewer...many people use it like a screw and don't even throw the cam...has encourage improper use of the skewer on the rear wheel as well. I can't tell you how many people I see unscrewing the rear quick release rather then just throwing the cam and letting the wheel fall out of the dropouts.
Too loose is more dangerous than too tight.

I don't think it's that hard to set the quick release similarly enough every time and make sure the wheel is seated well. Whoever wants to learn how to do it can do it.