Old 03-21-03, 11:53 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally posted by mrfix
Here it is in the simplest way I know how to say it.

Buy what you need when you need it, that way you won't end up with a bunch of junk you won't need or use. Buy quality where you need quality, bike specific tools like BB tools and cassette tools, should be Park. things like allen wrenches, wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets and torque wrenches can be purchased from your local tool supplier for a savings. If you want a truing stand, save your money and buy a park TS-2, it's the only one that's effective, I've tried them all, gave some away and have the others in heap in the basement.
Great advise.

Case in point: There are maybe two or three Park tools in the Park kit you list that would be worth owning: the crank puller, chain tool and wire cutters (and the wire cutters are a stretch since lesser brand models work as well and last as long). The BB & cassette lock-ring tools would be OK if they happen to work on your bike(s) but that assumes you're riding a bike equipped with Shimano components. You'd be better off buying a nice set of cone wrenches, a Park chain whip, and any brand of tire levers and patch kit. Get the multi-tool from a hardware store along with a nice set of screwdrivers, t-handle hex wrenches (metric) and a Park bike-shop quality pedal wrench.

The Avenir kit looks like it has a nice collection of the right tools but I don't know squat about the quality. Assuming the important tools aren't crap, it looks like a nice value that'll take care of your basic needs.

The Nashbar kit looks like crap.

Last edited by livngood; 03-21-03 at 11:58 AM.