Old 12-11-05, 09:19 PM
Idioteque

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheels: Aerodynamic vs lightweight

Found this on the bike science website recently posted

"Why would you spend $1000 to $4000 or more on a nice bike so you can go fast but only spend $200 on slow wheels like Mavic Open Pros? A $500 bike with $500 aero wheels is going be faster than a $4000 bike with standard wheels. Certainly, the Open Pros are good to have as training wheels, but if you're doing any racing or just want to go faster on the big weekend rides, aero wheels are the way to go. Curiously, a number of people are hesitant to get aero wheels (especially the more exotic ones) because they look too disco. Well, for those of you who fall into that category, that's your choice and it's fine, but you won't be going as fast as you could be."

I have mavic cosmos wheels on my bike, and i was looking to upgrade at some point anyway

I'm a pretty light guy (140-150) so i could probably go for really light american classics sprint 350. The article made me rethink that however, what do you guys think?

Oh and i will need them for training (well always have mavic cosmos) but mainly racing.

What are some of the drawbacks of aerodynamic wheels?

Thank you