genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I'm not knocking all these measures, but is there a point where it just becomes overkill? Is more always better?
to quote another poster...

Anything to be more visible.
Try to imagine how you look on a 45MPH multi lane arterial road, riding past some well lit strip mall that has lots of point sources of light... do you stand out against all that light pollution? Enough to be seen by a driver planning to make a hasty left turn across your path?

That was the sort of question I asked, as my commute took me past a major intersection loaded with shops filled with light... all those store lights were a distraction... and didn't add to my visibility. I had to stand out against that background of lights, somehow. Geography dictated this path as there were no other roads except freeways going the direction I needed to go... through that light jungle.

Now your mileage may vary, depending on where you commute. At one time in my life, I commuted down quiet, dark residential streets... I didn't need much to stand out there. In fact the light of an oncoming car, and the noise of said car in that environment were enough to alert me to any potential hazards... so much so that I could be dressed in black and riding ninja style and easily avoid any other traffic.

So the real question is where are you riding and what do you have to stand out from, to be visible?