Old 10-20-16, 09:45 PM
jaypeeq

Bikes: '17 Focus Paralane, '88 Schwinn Prelude, '88 Panasonic DX 3000

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Tell me more about these in line levers. I have never used them. Do they interfere with the regular brakes and are they hard to install???
You're going down a rewarding path of self maintenance. I've gone through a few vintage road bikes that I set up for commuting this way. They don't interfere at all, the regular brake levers are not effected. I'd recommend them for nearly any road bike. The only con is a minimal weight penalty. They're easy to install but it is a good idea to consider your whole cockpit set up while you're at it. Do you want new brake levers for the hoods, bar tape, stem size? Best to do this all at the same time. You'll need to cut the brake cable housing and replace the wire, ferules, and end caps. While you're at it definitely replace the bar tape too. The only special tool you'll need is a wire cutter and a few allen keys. Plenty of good youtube videos on how to do all of this and I also recommend 'Zinn and the art of Road Bicycle Maintenance' and it's a such an improvement in comfort. Well worth the minimal cost.