View Single Post
Old 10-24-16, 03:20 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by jorglueke
After a nice ride to Saint Paul and back needed to get some dinner for the kids. So we pile into the van and are waiting at a red light; two cars in front waiting to go straight. The light turns, the first two cars go, I start to go through the intersection and a cyclist zooms right in front of me. Not only ignoring the red light but also decided it's smart to do that in between a line of cars at a short light.
You didn't mention if you had to slam on your brakes or not? I make that move all the time. When the light turns green for crossing traffic, they don't all go at once. The first car goes, a gap appears behind them, then (at last) the second car starts rolling - leaving a gap behind them. Then the third car starts moving and so on. If any of the drivers are looking at their phones the gaps can be many car lengths between vehicles. A savvy city cyclist can see these gaps forming and hit them at speed. My buds and I even call the gaps "cellphone gaps". I hit them on a daily basis and never make the crossing traffic react to me. So....

...If he made you smack your brakes - shame on him. If you didn't have to do anything at all - how did this hurt you??

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-24-16 at 03:25 PM.