View Single Post
Old 10-25-16, 05:57 AM
Triplecrank92

Bikes: '93 Cannondale R500; '88 Centurion Ironman Expert, '97 Cannondale R900, '95 Serotta CSI, '83 Trek 700, '97 Lemond Zurich, '89 Bianchi Giro, '87 Schwinn Prologue, '83 Fuji TSIV + one perturbed wife

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 58 Posts
Back again. Well, I rode the bike several times with no change and thus decided to tear down the hubs and repack the grease to eliminate this potential cause. The grease used in the hub rebuild by the LBS was very light-weight, gray grease that was being squeezed out between the cone nuts and the dustcaps. I repacked the back wheel with Phil Wood and new bearings. (The front cones were showing slight wear so I'm looking for replacements at the moment.) Same result with the clicking noise. I'm convinced it is the spokes creaking as the flex rolls with the additional forces of torque, turning, etc being applied. While the wheel is true, I'm thinking of taking the wheel and doing a quarter turn or so on each spoke to tighten them evenly to see if this eliminates the noise. Any thoughts? If I'm tightening each spoke the same amount, won't the wheel stay true?