Old 10-26-16, 11:22 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thought some might be interested in a follow up. 845 miles now on the 1x setup and no plans on ever going back. I'm sold.

From a previous post:

Pros:
Less weight - not for me, I went with inexpensive parts on my first 1x build. If I did it again, I'd go lighter.
Less moving parts - true
Less things to break - true
More simplified setup - true
More reliable setup - so far seems to be true
No compensating on front DR setups - true
No dropped chains - none so far
No chain slapping - true
Quieter drivetrain - definitely true

Cons
:
Larger gaps between gear changes - also true, but I've found it to be a non issue for me

Summary:
Call me a convert. I've had this setup on lots of types of rides including fast paceline type rides. I didn't find any difference with it from my 2x setup, but I only do those types of rides occasionally.

In this discussion, chain dropping has been pretty resounding. I haven't dropped a chain thus far in 845 miles of hard riding.

That said, two people I know went with a hybrid 1x setup (Q-Rings, SRAM Rings mixed with Shimano road and MTB parts) and they are struggling with dropping chains. This somewhat substantiates what SRAM support told me before my switch. They chain drops they see are with mixed systems, not with their dedicated 1x stuff.

Going forward, I plan on my bikes having 1x setups. Two out of the three I own, are already 1x.

Last edited by Jarrett2; 10-26-16 at 11:32 AM.