Old 10-26-16, 09:38 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
My heart is full at your appreciation of my Peloton! Thank you, all!

Originally Posted by plonz
That Peloton is molto bello... wait a tick... that doesn't work with a Japanese bike. How about 非常に美しい

If you ever find yourself in a position to change out the bar tape, you might want to look at this Weanas Vex Gel in red/black. I think it would be a great complement to that sweet Prologo saddle.

http://www.bikeforums.net/19128962-post76.html
Thank you! Oooh, that bar tape is an excellent suggestion--perfect! I will keep that slotted away for the future. "Very beautiful" is apt for my Pana-Schwinn.

Originally Posted by abramj
Holey smokes Riddle o Steele, that has got to be the best looking Schwinn I've ever seen. Your attention to detail is superb!
Highest praise! Thank you and I intend to keep her essentially unchanged component-wise.

Originally Posted by Dizono
Been away for a while, but what an absolute pleasure to scroll through tens of pages with new builds. This could be the best thread over the web... =)

@RiddleOfSteel: The red one is great, nice theme and very well conducted!
[/IMG]
Thank you! And your Gazelle is a most lovely and excellently-composed machine herself. How do you like the bars (Cinelli Touch I presume? Great pick with them being black!) and STIs in that setup? I tried that exact setup before switching to the Williams short-n-shallow bars as I didn't find the Cinelli setup as comfortable as I was hoping.

Originally Posted by greg3rd48
[MENTION=390460]Thanks ROS! Yes they are 28mm Gators and they have proven pretty bombproof on these urban streets. I did have one flat with a nail so far though. I did really notice any clearance issues, I will have to take a look. I did replace the steel fork with a carbon one. BTW I am in complete agreement that your Schwinn is one of the best looking that I have seen. You must get a lot of attention when riding it.
Nails will kill anything, no fault of the Gators. I've had a lot of success with them myself, albeit in 23mm size. I thought your fork looked not-stock for a pre-'89, but it fits well and looks like it grants you some extra clearance. When I had the 28s, I had 1mm between the front tire and brake caliper, 1mm between the rear tire and FD mount bracket, and 2mm or so between the rear tire and brake caliper. My '87 Black Lightning rubbed brake calipers/bridges--so there's probably some small construction variances (and my 28mm Conti's were perhaps a little big). Thank you for the Schwinn love.

Originally Posted by DMC707
Yes --- perfection - and to a lesser extent, the 10 speed 7800's --- great looks and performance, and not so narrow in the back that it takes a mad scientist to keep adjusted and in tune
My experience with the 7800s has been good on the adjustment, works over a Shimano or Campy 10s cassette no problem, with delightfully light lever inputs--too light for my tastes as I like a little more feedback. The 'knob' is rather large. Nicely done aesthetically, but on a bike that I wish to keep a more svelte appearance (read: most of them), I shy away from it and similarly-generation'ed STIs. The 9s era of STIs have a nice lower profile. Dura Ace and Ultegra (the 6510 revamp) are both great performers in both shifting, feel, and (enthusiastic) braking.