View Single Post
Old 10-27-16, 06:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by jeichelberg87
Evidently, she failed to follow safety guidelines.
& that's the OP's point: don't follow 'safety guidelines' and you'll get flattened. And Shaina's story is shared to support the OP; and counter posts that nobody ever get's hurt running red lights.

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
She didn't look where she was going. If she had looked, she would have seen the car and stopped. After the car passed, she could have gone through the red light with no issues. The problem here is not rolling the red light, it's not paying attention. I always look for cars at intersections, even when the light is green.
Shaina made a mistake, she believed the car that stopped for the group of riders in front of her was letting her through too (read the links posted). She saw the SUV, she didn't read the driver's intent correctly. However, the fact remains, she ran a red light and ended up with a TBI. If she stopped for the red light, she'd have biked with Babes in Bikeland this year, instead of watching from her wheelchair.

Final thought: car versus bike, bike will lose every time. Drivers that get mad at 'dangerous bikers' running red lights are effing morons. No SUV driver has ended up in the ER from a biker running a red light. 6,000 lbs of steel, airbags, seatbelts ... there's nothing for them to worry about from 165 lbs of biker. The ONLY person that is going to get hurt is the biker. If you have a death-wish, please run all the red lights. (yes, the SUV can still get you while following the 'safety guidelines'; I have a long list of names I can share of riders 'doing it right' that are now nothing more than a memory and a ghost bike).

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-27-16 at 08:12 AM.